Industrial Slide Selection
There are five stages in the selection of the most appropriate slide for your application.
1. Load rating
- Load ratings quoted are the maximum for a pair of 450mm long vertically (side) mounted slides installed 450mm apart.
- In general, wider drawers require a slide with a higher load rating and a cross section designed to withstand lateral stress. Our technical department will be pleased to advise you.
- Load ratings will change according to the length of the slide. See individual datasheets for details.
- Ratings are based on frequent use up to 10,000 cycles. See individual datasheets for details of cycle rates used for testing.
- The measurements are taken between and at the midpoint of the drawer member and are given in kg.
- Load ratings quoted are dynamic. Accuride slides have a 100% static safety factor in the extended position.
- Horizontally (flat) mounting the slides reduces the load capacity to at least 25% of the vertical (side) mount capacity. Not all slide models can be used in flat mount applications.
- Deflection of flat mounted slides will vary depending upon the application. We recommend prototyping to determine that the deflection is within an acceptable range.
- We advise clients to test slides in the intended application.
- All fixing positions should be used to achieve maximum load rating.
- Appropriate fixing materials must be used.
- Mounting slides in different configurations will affect performance and load rating.
2. Extension or travel
- 75% extension - drawer opens approximately 75% of the total length of the slide.
- 100% extension - drawer opens the same amount as the slide length.
- 100%+ extension - over-travel is achieved. The drawer opens in excess of the slide length.
- Most full (100%) extension slides have nominal overtravel. Please see individual pages for details.
3. Slide length
- Slide length is measured as the longest dimension of a fully closed slide. As a rule, always use the maximum length allowable in the application.
4. Side space
- The amount of space necessary to accommodate the thickness of the slide assembly.
- For optimum performance allow between +0.2mm and +0.5mm over the nominal slide thickness, e.g. for a 12.7mm slide, the side space allowance should be between 12.9 and 13.2mm.
- Precision slides cannot absorb large gap deviations between the cabinet and the drawer. The cabinet and drawer must be square and parallel to each other for optimal working of the pair of slides.
5. Determine any special features required
- Disconnect allows simple connect/disconnect from the slide assembly.
Lever - disconnect is achieved by releasing an internal lever and by pulling the drawer firmly through the resistance of the ball retainer.
Rail - a rail latch allows you to raise the drawer off the slide.
Push latch - a latch is pressed to release the drawer and disconnect is achieved by pulling the drawer firmly through the resistance of the ball retainer.
- Locks hold the slide either closed or open and a lever must be actuated to move the slide.
- Hold-in and hold-out keeps the slide open or closed until extra force is applied.
- Self close slides include a spring attachment designed to close the slide and prevent bounce back.
- Dampened self-close (EC) slows the closing action for a controlled and smooth operation.
- Touch release slides open with pressure to the front of the slide.
- Mounting options, for example, bayonets and brackets.
- Cam drawer adjust allows minute adjustment to the drawer front for easy alignment. Standard feature on 2132 and 3832 series slides.
- Shock blocks are hardened steel pins that provide an interference fit between the slide members to minimize the amplification of vibration and reduce the damaging effects of shock in the closed position. Available on slide 0522 as standard.
- Standard feature suffixes:
SC - self close
HDSC - heavy duty self close
DO - hold out
TR - touch release
HDTR - heavy duty touch release
EC - easy close
- cold rolled mild steel (FeP01Am)
- cold rolled stainless steel (1.4301 austenitic steel)
- aluminium (AlMg3)
- cold rolled zinc plated (FeP01Am) - stainless steel (1.4301 austenitic steel)
- plastic (Nylon 6-6)
- carbon chrome steel (grade 200)
- stainless steel (1.4034 ferritic steel)
- plastic (Delrin)
- Hi-Lo temperature grease, minimum operating range -20º to +110º
- Slide ordering prefixes are:
- DZ- electro zinc plate and blue passivate
- DB- electro zinc plate and black passivate
- DW- white
- DH- corrosion resistant (high corrosion resistance 96 hours)
- DS- stainless steel
- DA- aluminium